Hardly a day goes by when you don’t hear the New York Stock Exchange referenced on the news or…on this program. But what is it really and why should you care? For a few minutes today let’s talk about the ringing of the bells and sometimes the wringing of hands at that unique place called the NY Stock Exchange. Rob West answers these questions about the NYSE.
- What the Exchange is and what goes on there?
- What does it mean to be a “member” of the NY Stock Exchange?
- Is the NY Stock Exchange the only one?
- What’s the Dow Jones Industrial Average?
- Why do people get so excited when it hits a new high?
- Suppose the market drops, as it did at the end of last year, does that mean you lose money if you own stocks?
- It’s always shown as chaotic, people yelling and waving their arms around. Is it really like that?
Next, Rob and Steve answer these questions at 800-525-7000 or via email at Questions@MoneyWiseLive.org:
- If you're a disabled veteran thinking of purchasing a home, what are the pros and cons of using VA loans over conventional or FHA loans?
- If you have 4 children who are graduating college in May with 2 going on to graduate school, should you start paying down their subsidized student loans now or will that hurt their chances of getting further grants?
- If your daughter is going back to college after a medical related break, what are your options for student aid and can you help without cosigning?
- Is there a way to avoid the 10% penalty if you pull money out of a pension at age 55?
- How do you divide your wealth when you've remarried and have a large blended family with differing numbers of grandchildren?
- What are preferred stocks?
- What are qualified charitable contributions?
Be sure to check out the rest of MoneyWise.org to connect with a MoneyWise Coach or access our books and our many free helpful resources. You can also find us on Facebook (MoneyWise Media) and join the conversation. Thanks for your prayerful and financial support that helps keep MoneyWise on the air. And if you'd like to help, just click the Donate tab at the top of the page.