The economy reached another milestone recently as the number of job openings exceeded 7 million for the first time ever. At the same time, the number of people quitting their jobs is at a 17-year high but that’s a good thing.
Those numbers show we’re in the best labor market in decades. People are leaving their jobs to take better ones. Is there a job interview in your immediate future? Financial planner and teacher Rob West has interviewing do’s and don’ts.
Before getting into the interview advice, Rob offers some thoughts on the economy and the job market.
- A big part of landing a new job is doing well in the interview process and a lot of folks get nervous about that. Rob offers some advice about this.
- How do you handle questions a lot of interviewers ask like “Why do you want to work here?” or the classic, “What’s your biggest weakness?”
- Next, Rob talks about salary requirements because sometimes that’s the scariest part of the job interview.
- What about follow-up? Is that important?
Next, Rob and Steve answer these questions at 800-525-7000 or via email at Questions@MoneyWiseLive.org:
- If you have a buyout of your corporation in next 4 years that will yield $230,000 and a #140,000 mortgage, where should you put the proceeds?
- If you're 66 and 65 and think long-term care insurance is expensive, what are the good reasons to consider it?
- If your church bought a building for around $500,000 that is currently financed with a 5 year balloon loan at 4.65% which will soon go to over 6%, should your church refinance and change the mortgage company for a fixed rate?
- If your residence is provided by your employer but you've always wanted to own a home, should you used extra funds to buy something to rent out or just keep saving for retirement?
- If your advisor has recommended selling and buying "put options", should you consider it?
- If you've been living on cash for 10 years since a divorce, how do you reestablish credit?
- If your husband was working a contract finished early and was paid a lump sum to finish that contract, how does that affect your taxes and can it be mitigated?
Be sure to check out our new website at MoneyWiseLive.org to connect with a MoneyWise Coach or access our books, videos, or any of our free helpful resources. Thanks for your prayerful and financial support that helps keep MoneyWise Live on the air. And if you'd like to help, just click the Donate tab at the top of the page.